3. After graduation in 1982, my professional journey started as Medical Officer and achieved horizons of success and accredited with honor to head two among the largest NGOs in Pakistan.
4. I recently left the position of General Manager Sahara for Life Trust with annual budget of Pak Rs. 350 million and more than 500 employees on its payroll.
5. Thus I have got 30 years experience of working in health sector including 20 years in the field of public health. I have got vast experience of working for NGOs and International Donors including Plan International, World Bank, DFID, USAID, Save the children US and many others.
6. My areas of expertise are:
i. Health Systems & Research
ii. Monitoring & Evaluation
iii. Project management
iv. Health Education
v. Capacity building
vi. Technical Facilitation of seminars, forum, workshop
vii. Establishment & Human Resource Management
ix. Financial Management.
7. Health Systems & Research: I achieved MPH in Health System Development from Chulalongkorn University Bangkok Thailand in the year 1997 and following assignments are worth-mentioning
i. Principal Investigator Round IV Mapping & IBBS study for HIV/AIDS Surveillance Project among MARPS (IDUs) Pakpattan May-August 2011
ii. Team Leader Gap Analysis of MNCH & LHW Programs sponsored by Plan International Pakistan on 9th March 2011-8th April 2011
iii. Lead Consultant Revision of GAVI PC1 EPI Program, Balochistan, Quetta sponsored by TAMA (Technical Assistance Management Agency) (DFID) on 27th November 2006 January 2007
iv. Team Leader Supportive Supervision: A comprehensive original research based Supportive Supervision Model was developed and implemented in USAID funded PAIMAN districts in Pakistan
v. Team Leader District Health Management Teams (DHMTs):
a. Developed original research based concept and DHMTs were established in USAID funded PAIMAN districts in Pakistan
b. As Deputy Project Director established DHMTs under ADB funded Women Health Project
c. As a private consultant evaluated DHMTs established under WHP and revised concept was presented on the basis of evidence based research
d. I was author of the chapter on “Management of Change” in the concept document on District Health Government introduced by government of the Punjab in the year 1999.
vi. Team Leader Evaluation of Plan-YHL Pakistan sponsored by Plan International Pakistan implemented by ROZAN on 4th February 2008-15th February 2010
vii. Health Education Consultant “Promoting Healthy Behaviors through Health Education in district Vehari” Project (PHBHEP) sponsored by: Public Private Partnership between Plan International Pakistan and District Health Department district Vehari prepared IEC material including video and audio clips, poster, banner,pamphlets, brochure, etc. relating to Mother & Child Health and a training manual for Master Trainers was also prepared and training was conducted accordingly on 3rd June-31st July 2009
viii. Team Leader Video for Healthy Change was sponsored by: Plan International Pakistan on 2nd June-30th June 2008 and a set of 12 video CDs was prepared on various topics relating to Mother & Child Health and training was imparted to Master Trainers according to a Training Manual prepared for use of those Videos.
ix. Health Education Specialist, Jannat Association for Women Welfare, a Health Education Campaign was designed targeting women with involvement of Government health facilities in Tehsil Arifwala, a list of topics was developed and training of 22 Lady Health Visitors to hold Focus Group discussions was conducted on Nov 2003-Feb 2004.
x. Team Leader Organizational Evaluation of Jannat Association for Women Welfare Pakistan on 6th September 2009-5th November 2009
xi. Team Leader Evaluation of Plan-RHIA Pakistan sponsored by Plan International Pakistan and implemented by SACHET on 7th February 2008-18th February 2008
xii. Team Leader evaluation study “Punjab Health sector after 3 years of Devolution of Power Plan (DOPP) in Pakistan” and presented results at 11th International Public Health Congress held at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2006
xiii. Team Leader Data Collection Decision Space and Capacities study in context of Decentralization in Pakistan sponsored by USAID funded PAIMAN 2005-2006
xiv. Project Coordinator Evaluation of EPI strengthening Initiative Plan Pakistan sponsored by: Plan International Pakistan: 25th March-31st May 2005
xv. Project Coordinator Evaluation of School Health Program Plan Pakistan sponsored by: Plan International Pakistan: 21st October 2004-10th March 2005
xvi. District Monitor, WHO on 5-7 March 2002, 16-18 April 2002 and 3-5 September 2002 at the district Vehari
xvii. Referral System: Research based concept of referral system was prepared and implemented in the districts under ADB funded Health Care Development Project Punjab
8. I achieved MBA in Project Management in the year 2001 and performed following assignments:
i. As Project Coordinator, World Bank funded HIV/AIDS Control Program for Men having sex with men (MSM),
a. Established 4 Special Health Centers in different identified areas of MSM and primary health care services along with distribution of condom and counseling services provided. I presented success story of the centers at AIDS 2006 Conference held at Toronto, Canada and; 4th APCRSH held at Hyderabad India 2007
b. Baseline KAP survey was conducted and networks and collaborations with key stakeholders departments and organizations were established
c. Behavior Change Strategic Model targeting MSM was prepared and implemented. Success story was presented at 3rd APCRSH held at Kualalampur, Malaysia 2005
ii. As Project Consultant for a Family Planning Project I prepared a Behavior Change Strategic Model targeting Pakistani Males advocating family planning and recognition of significance of birth-spacing specially woman’s health and also taking care of woman’s health especially during pregnancy. This was published in “Medical Forum” and appreciated by the eminent public health personnel in Pakistan and was presented at 10th International Public Health Conference held at Brighton UK.
iii. I worked as Assistant Project Director ADB funded Health Care Development Project Punjab worth US $ 29 million. This project included establishment of 18 Nursing Schools with development of training curriculum and recognition by Pakistan Nursing Council, up-gradation of Postgraduate College of Nursing, establishment of College of Paramedics with procurement and provision of surgical and non-surgical equipment. In-country and abroad training of paramedics, development of referral system and up-gradation of selected RHCs and THQ hospitals. We achieved 100% physical targets with 84% financial expenditure I.e. 16% financial savings
iv. As Deputy Project Director ADB funded Women Health Project Punjab worth US $ 20 million, we were among the pioneer in introduction of Safe Delivery Kits among the communities through this project. Strategy for social mobilization and demand creation was developed and training of TBAs was conducted in all the districts. Media discussions were developed and conducted on various topics of mother & child health
9. Capacity Building: I facilitated numerous capacity building workshops/sessions. Apart from the described above, following are more worth mentioning
i. Preparation of Operational & Strategic Plans: Members of DHMTs were trained in the process of planning and operational & strategic models were prepared in PAIMAN districts
ii. Behavior Change Strategy: Counselors of the HIV/AIDS Control Project were trained to implement strategy for Behavior Change among MSM as per Behavior Change Strategic Model in the year 2005
iii. Syndromic Management of STIs: Training manual was prepared and master trainers were trained in order to further train Peer Educators in HIV/AIDS Control Project targeting MSM in the year 2004
iv. Human Sensitivity Relationship: A training workshop was conducted targeting health personnel in district Vehari sponsored by Plan Pakistan in the year 2003 on following topics
b. Communication Skills
c. Experiential Learning
v. Preparation of Operational & Strategic Plans: District Managers were trained in the process of planning and operational & strategic models were prepared in Women Health Project districts in Punjab in the year 2001
vi. Training of TBAs in use of Safe Delivery Kits: We were pioneer in designing and supplying Safe Delivery Kits along with training of TBAs in Women Health Project districts in Punjab in the year 2000
vii. As District Coordinator National LHW Program, I was involved in training of Lady Health Workers and their role in antenatal and postnatal care
10. Conduction of seminars, forum, workshop: I facilitated numerous events and some important are as under:
i. Team Leader/Technical Facilitator National Consultative Forum on Adolescent Health: held on 26-27 June 2008 at Best Western Hotel Islamabad sponsored by Plan Pakistan and World Population Foundation
ii. Technical Facilitator Punjab Health Development Forum: held on 5 May 2004 PC Hotel Lahore sponsored by TAMA (DFID)
iii. Technical Facilitator Sensitization & Advocacy Seminar targeting Public representatives (District Nazim) & EDO Health: held at Holiday Inn Hotel Lahore on 2 January 2002 under Women Health Project
11. Procurements: As Assistant Project Director Health Care Development Project Punjab and Deputy Project Director Women Health Project Punjab, I was also Incharge of all the procurements. I was head Technical Scrutiny Committee and also Inspection Committee. Therefore I was fully involved in the process right beginning from the need assessment, preparation of specification, lot description, bidding process till supply and inspection and then release of payment of millions of rupees.
12. Various publications are on my credit including
i. November 1998, Medical Forum Vol. 9 No. 11:25-31 “Few tips as communication skills for family planning workers”
ii. June 2003, Medical Forum Vol 14 No. 6:16-20 “Health Behavior Change Strategic Model: Changing Smoking Behavior”
iii. July 2003, Medical Forum Vol 114 No. 7:7-8 “Successful Implementation of District Health Government: Some Practical Suggestions” WHO, EMRO - Virtual Health Sciences Library (VHSL): Record 74665
iv. July 2003, Medical Forum Vol 114 No. 7:16-19 “Alternatives Means Of Health Care Financing In Pakistan: A case for Introducing Effective Cost-Sharing and Subsidy Systems” WHO, EMRO - Virtual Health Sciences Library (VHSL): Record 74668
v. August 2003, Medical Forum Vol 14 No. 8:14-17 “ Empowering Rural Women, A strategic approach toward rural development”
13. I have actively participated in various national and international conferences including 3rd Asia Pacific Reproductive and Sexual Health held at Kulalampur, Malaysia in Nov 2005, AIDS 2006 Conference held at Toronto, Canada in August 2006, 11th International Public Health Congress held at Rio de Janeiro in August 2006, Conference on Rural Development held at Bangkok, Thailand in 1997. My abstracts were accepted for presentation at a number of conferences including 4th APCRSH held at Hyderabad India, AIDS 2008 Conference held in August 2008 at Mexico, 7th ICAAP held at Kobe Japan.
14. I am active member of various national and international public health associations including life membership of Population Association of Pakistan and Safe Motherhood Group. I am affiliated with Medscap HIV/AIDS, Engender Health, Global Health, Royal College of Scotland. I am registered consultant with Technical SouthAsia Facility (TSF), HLSP UK, etc.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Tanvir Ahmad Zaver
Project Management and Health Systems Specialist
Consultant South Asia Technical Support Facility
Mobile: +92 300 4749039
This map requires Flash Player 8 or higher.
Click here to get the latest Flash Player.
1 TIGblog entries
388 TIG profile views